Born in 1904, died in 1988. Professional training at the studio of J. Moshkevich in Tomsk (1914-1917), Latvian Academy of Arts, landscape studio (1922-1932.) under the supervision of professor V. Purvitis.
Contributor to exhibitions since 1927. The Prize of Rome award instituted by the Latvian Academy of Arts (1935), which took him to Italy for advanced studies (1936-1937).
His works have been exhibited in Russia, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, the United States, and other countries. The bronze medal at the world exhibition EXPO-1958 in Brussels (1958).
A number of his paintings are among the permanent exhibits of the Latvian Art Museum. They are on display at major museums in Latvia, Russia, Japan, India, Germany, the United States, and Lithuania.
Professor at the Latvian Academy of Art. A great number of Latvian artists were graduated from his workshop.